Welcome to the next installment of my Meet the Spice Blend series, where I'm sharing the inspiration for, back stories of, and uses for my ever-expanding collection of small batch, handcrafted spice blends. Next up, let's meet One in a Bouillon!!
The Inspiration - Chicken Bouillon, but Make It Minimally-Processed, Salt-Free and Vegan
Bouillon, whether in a powder, paste, or cube form, is a staple ingredient in many cuisines. It is a quick, easy, and usually shelf-stable way to add a lot of flavor with minimal effort and a single ingredient that takes up minimal space in your pantry. Sounds great, right? Sure, but have you looked at the ingredient list and nutritional information on the back of a package of chicken bouillon? 😳
Now, let me just say that I am NOT a registered dietician. Nor am I one of those people out there trying to scare people about the "chemicals" in food. The truth is that everything is comprised of chemicals. That's just simple science. Don't believe me? Check out this illustration of the chemical makeup of a banana listed as if it were a nutritional label. It's brilliant and mind-blowing and makes the point brilliantly that the people trying to scare you about "chemicals" in your food need to take several seats. Ok, rant over.
So, while I'm not here to scare you about the "chemicals" in your food, I do subscribe to the idea that eating minimally-processed foods is preferable when feasible, and I am definitely a proponent of knowing what the ingredients are in my food, especially spices. That's why you'll never see the phrase "natural flavor" in the ingredient list on any of my products. Um, what?!?!
But how do you get the flavor and feel of chicken bouillon without involving an industrial science lab and commercial manufacturing capabilities, not to mention without the chicken? Well, it took some time and many tries, but I figured it out, and the result, my friends is One in a Bouillon. This blend of nutritional yeast, garlic, onion, tomato powder, dried wild mushrooms, celery ceed, black pepper, parsley, and bay leaf tastes and looks just like bouillon powder but has none of the chicken and none of the highly-processed ingredients in the store-bought stuff. And although I usually include salt in my blends (because I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for your to make delicious food), I decided to leave it out of this one entirely for those of you who have to be especially conscious of your sodium intake. (Note: You can special order salt-free versions of any of my blends in either 8-ounce or 16-ounce sizes.)
Versatility in the Kitchen - One in a Bouillon
Not sure how to use One in a Bouillon? Here are just a few creative and delicious ideas:
1. Flavorful Soups and Stews: Use One in a Bouillon to enhance the depth of flavor in your soups and stews. Simply add a teaspoon or two to your broth while cooking to infuse your dish with rich, savory notes.
2. Savory Grains: Elevate the taste of your grains by mixing a pinch of One in a Bouillon into the cooking water. Whether it's quinoa, rice, or couscous, the blend will bring a delightful twist to your side dishes. Just remember, One in a Bouillon contains no salt, so you'll still need to season your cooking water with salt.
3. Vegan Gravies and Sauces: Create delectable vegan gravies and sauces by incorporating One in a Bouillon into your recipes. Its aromatic herbs and spices will add complexity and depth to your culinary creations.
4. Roasted Vegetables: Before roasting, toss your vegetables in a bit of oil and a sprinkle of One in a Bouillon. The blend's flavors will infuse into the veggies as they cook, turning a simple dish into a taste sensation.
5. Plant-Based Proteins: Use One in a Bouillon to season plant-based proteins like tofu, tempeh, or seitan. The blend's seasoning will add a savory kick to your dishes, making them even more satisfying.
6. Homemade Veggie Burgers: Incorporate One in a Bouillon into your homemade veggie burger mixture. It will not only season the patties but also infuse them with an inviting aroma.
7. Flavorful Dips and Spreads: Mix One in a Bouillon with plant-based yogurt or tahini to create flavorful dips and spreads for your veggies, crackers, or sandwiches.
8. Enhanced Broths: Make a quick and satisfying broth by dissolving a teaspoon of One in a Bouillon in a cup of hot water. Sip it as a nourishing drink or use it as a base for other recipes. One 3-ounce jar of One in a Bouillon makes 18 cups of broth!!
9. Homemade Brown Rice-A-Roni: Put a healthy twist on everyone's favorite boxed rice-and-pasta mix by using brown rice, whole wheat orzo, and One in a Bouillon. Get the recipe here.
Remember, One in a Bouillon is a versatile spice blend that can be tailored to your tastes. Feel free to experiment and explore new ways to bring out the best in your culinary creations while embracing its vegan, salt-free, and preservative-free goodness.
Ready to get your own One in a Bouillon? Get it here.